This week, First Data Corporation introduced its’ next version of Pogo®, which launched in 2012 as a mPOS mobile payment solution for the small business and emerging merchant community in the U.S. The product is sold by Sam’s Club and participating banks.
Anywhere Commerce Card Reader
Pogo uses an audio jack magnetic-stripe card reader manufactured by AnywhereCommerce called the Rambler. (details at http://www.anywherecommerce.com/Solutions/rambler.aspx). Some features of the
- Plug and play API. Built-in, optional acquiring software makes the Rambler ready-to-use immediately from the box. Equipment can also be easily integrated into a wide-range of existing acquiring software.
- Proprietary data encryption. Protects card data by using specialized encryption and security features. Card data is sent securely over wireless networks and no card information is stored on the device.
- Audio jack or USB connectivity options. Flexible data connectivity options make the Rambler very easily adaptable with both legacy hardware and newer mobile devices. Enables connectivity to portable printers for easy, on-location receipt printing.
- Built-in battery. Compact design does not draw off the mobile device battery, increasing reliability and uptime in the field.
- Major smartphone operating systems supported including: Android, Blackberry, IOS, Windows 7 and Symbian.
According to the Aite Group, 50 percent of merchants claim they would not shift to a non-bank service provider.* Although our research says merchants find applying for bank card merchant services through traditional banks and their ISO partners to be confusing, cumbersome, and difficult to compare pricing.
First Data is banking on key financial institutions including First American Bank, Mutual of Omaha Bank, Associated Bank, First Bank, IBC Bank, BancorpSouth, Extraco Banks, Mountain America Credit Union and many others to provide an alternative to Square, PayPal, and other mPOS solutions.
Merchants can get the Pogo> solution by applying through participating banks’ web sites, according to First Data. The product is also sold by warehouse clubs like Sam’s Club.
“First Data is powering Universal Commerce by providing merchants a full range of solutions that help grow their business – whether today with Pogo> as a logical first step, or tomorrow as they move up to a more multi-functional POS solution,” said Bruce Dragt, SVP, First Data Retail and Alliance Services. “Many banks and other partners are now incorporating Pogo> into their suite of business solutions that they can offer small business customers when they are signing up for new bank services such as checking accounts.”
The updated version of Pogo from First Data incorporates several elements specifically for new and emerging small merchants that essentially catches up to and mirror its’ competitors offerings:
- World-class security, including encryption the moment the card is swiped, to ensure peace of mind and risk mitigation;
- 24/7 phone, email, web portal and chat support from First Data payment experts;
- Acceptance of credit, signature debit and cash payments;
- Fast funding directly into a merchant’s bank account, in certain instances by next business day;
- Access to a full suite of payment tools designed to meet merchant needs now and as their business grows;
- Reliable, durable mobile card reader providing reliable swipes;
- Item lists with photos, descriptions and barcode scanning for fast checkouts;
- Electronic receipts with email and text options;
- Easy account management through a comprehensive online tool offering helpful user guides, funding alerts, demos, how-to videos and frequently asked questions;
- Online reporting;
- Simple, affordable pricing;
- Easy and fast sign-up process.
For more information go to www.pogopayment.com
*Aite Group, “Merchant Retention: Five Assumptions Put to the Test”, March 2009