The Isis SmartTap protocol is a new, proprietary mobile commerce software specification that leverages near field communications (NFC) technology, a standard feature on most new smartphones. When supported in an NFC reader or payment terminal, the SmartTap protocol enables Isis Mobile Wallet™ users to pay, present loyalty cards and redeem offers in a single transaction.
“NFC is the international standard for mobile payments,” said Jim Stapleton, chief sales officer, Isis. “The proliferation of SmartTap capabilities at the point-of-sale takes mobile payments one step further, providing rich commerce features that offer an effortless consumer experience and drive engagement and loyalty in a way previously not possible. By providing Isis Ready™ solutions, POS, payment terminal and reader providers can deliver innovative technologies that will benefit merchants for years to come.”
Providers supporting SmartTap capabilities enable mobile commerce in a diverse range of environments such as mass transit, vending machines, fuel pumps, taxis, restaurants, grocery and retail stores.
New partners integrating SmartTap capabilities into product lines include:
- ID TECH
- On Track Innovations (OTI) Global
- PAX Technology
- Uniform Industrial Corporation (UIC)
- XAC Automation Corporation
These technology providers join a growing list of partners that have already integrated SmartTap capabilities into POS offerings, including:
- Equinox Payments
- Gilbarco Veeder-Root
- Wayne, A GE Energy Business
Mobilizing payments, loyalty and offers creates new merchant marketing opportunities, while streamlining the customer experience. A SmartTap-enabled POS terminal automatically recognizes and applies loyalty cards loaded in the Isis Mobile Wallet. Similarly, Isis Mobile Wallet users benefit from the ability to receive, store and present offers with SmartTap-enabled merchants.
“Roughly one-sixth of U.S. payment terminals are replaced each year. To fully benefit from mobile payments, this hardware replacement must be accompanied with a software infrastructure that enables the compelling shopping, selling and loyalty solutions that will drive changes in merchant and consumer behavior,” said Rick Oglesby, senior analyst, Aite Group. “This announcement demonstrates Isis’ resolve in bringing a fully functioning mobile commerce environment to market with their national rollout.”
- “The value in mobility is not in how you pay, it’s about creating a more meaningful and rewarding interaction between a brand and its customer, and mobile wallets are an important part of that. As the payment partner of choice for 75 percent of the top 200 U.S. retailers, and with systems deployed across thousands of small and medium-size businesses, VeriFone, along with Isis, is creating the path for greater mobile payment acceptance nationwide.” – Jennifer Miles, president, VeriFone Americas
- “Collaborations like this allow Equinox to help our customers keep pace with the rapid changes our industry is facing. SmartTap will pair extremely well with our next-generation NFC-enabled Apollo platform and our L5000 family of payment terminals and we’re pleased to support Isis in the development of these very important technologies.” – Patrick Hazel, chairman and CEO, Equinox Payments
- “As mobile payment continues to gain momentum, we are proud to provide an Isis-enabled fuel dispenser solution. Our partnership with Isis will ultimately help fuel retailers provide a better customer experience by enabling simple mobile payments at the pump. By pursuing a modular hardware path, retailers who elect to upgrade with NFC hardware today on Gilbarco pumps will also be able to leverage that investment for contactless EMV payments in the future.” – Mike Schulte, president, Gilbarco Veeder-Root North America
- “Through our implementation with Jamba Juice and other Isis merchant partners, we have seen the benefits of adding Isis SmartTap capability to standards-based NFC payments. ID Tech is pleased to work with Isis in this area in order to continue to deliver industry-leading solutions to our partners and merchant customers,” – Bill Rorick, vice president of Product Management & Marketing, ID Tech
- “NFC technology and its application for mobile payments such as Isis Mobile Wallet™ and Isis SmartTap™ make the shopping experience more attractive and convenient for consumers today. It enables retailers to engage with the consumer and create loyalty by delivering a more personalized payment experience. Working closely with Isis, Ingenico is pleased to enable this innovative process by adding Isis SmartTap payments to its latest POS devices, including our Telium-based multi-lane Signature Capture iSC480 and iSMP device, the first mobile hardware solution on the market to certify with Isis SmartTap.” – Thierry Denis, president, Ingenico, North America
- “We anticipate Isis’ nationwide rollout will mark a major inflection point for the NFC industry in terms of universal adoption and strengthening the NFC ecosystem. As a major Isis supporter and technology provider, with more than 20 years of experience providing field-proven NFC solutions, we look forward to supporting the success of this multi-billion dollar initiative.” – Ofer Tziperman, CEO, On Track Innovations (OTI) Global
- “PAX has deployed over 3 million EMV and NFC payment terminals in over 70 countries, and with all the various payment solutions I have seen in years, Isis is the most innovative and visionary. PAX is excited to be working with Isis on the nationwide launch of the SmartTap solution. Isis has proven to be a leader in perfecting the mobile wallet and how it will best benefit the consumer. With our integration with Isis, the PAX NFC and EMV payment terminals will help merchants to affordably accept Isis payments securely. This will ensure that merchants will be providing their customers with the best ways to pay and save.” –Andy Chau, president and CEO, PAX Technology, Inc.
- “UIC has engaged in Contactless/NFC payment since 2007 and witnessed very slow adoption, partly due to lack of real value for most consumers. We are so excited to work with Isis on the SmartTap technology, as this collaboration can truly bring added values and convenience to consumers, as well as success to NFC payment.” – Joseph Kwong, vice president, UIC
- “Wayne embraces emerging technologies that benefit the evolving needs of our customers, and mobile payment is one that we can deliver on the forecourt. The Wayne TAP™ contactless/NFC reader helps our forward-thinking retailers expand their payment and marketing opportunities at the pump, engaging with customers for a better experience on the forecourt. The efforts between Wayne and Isis are very synergistic – we’re two leaders in our respective industries working together to bring innovation into the daily activities of all customers.” – Tim Weston, product manager of Payment – North America, Wayne, A GE Energy Business
- “Integrating Isis’ SmartTap technology across XAC’s line of NFC-enabled desktop, wireless, unattended, and mobile commerce devices provides its partners with a simple option to enable Isis SmartTap transactions in their own solutions.” – Edmund Chang, founder, chairman, and CEO, XAC Automation Corporation
Source: Isis, the joint venture between AT&T Mobility LLC, T-Mobile USA, Inc. and Verizon Wireless based in New York City. The venture is chartered with building Isis, a national mobile commerce venture that will fundamentally transform how people shop, pay and save. The Isis Mobile Commerce Platform™ will be available to all merchants, banks, payment networks and mobile carriers. Isis, Isis Mobile Wallet, Isis Ready, Isis Mobile Commerce Platform and the associated logos are trademarks of JVL Ventures, LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos, product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. For more information visit www.paywithisis.com.